Sunday, March 15, 2009

Lazy Sunday

Today was a really lazy Sunday in Loma Linda. We woke up around 7:30. I folded up my blanket while Kristi got some blood drawn and then I tipped up the recliner I sleep in. I sleep surprisingly well in that chair. The only drawback is that when I sleep, my elbows rest on the wooden armrests and my pinky on each hand falls asleep. So every time I woke up in the middle of the night I was greeted by pins and needles in my finger.

The resident (a.k.a. Dr. Dummy) came in at 9 and listened to her heart, asked some pointless questions, acted confused and left. He has been coming in for the last 3 days and really has not helped at all. He always asks her how the chest pain is (she never had pain, just pressure) and if she feels like the Lasix are working. I donno Doc...I lost 23 pounds in a week. What do you think? He also has a stuffy nose and a cough which does not make us feel to good as it is very dangerous for Kristi to have a URI (Upper Respiratory Infection) while she is trying to have her body accept a prosthetic heart valve and during her recovery. It will probably be VERY painful to cough. Dr. Dummy, probably due to clogged ears, didn't hear that she was developing fluid in her lungs again (something her nurse heard) and needed more Lasix. Like Kristi's clients has always said, "Residents kill people because they don't know anything yet. If you want help, ask your RN or the attending."

Some people came to visit today. Of course our families were there. My parents came early and Karen, Ron, Phil and Kathy later on in the afternoon. My friends Mike and Jen and my next door neighbor from growing up Erica (who is like family) came to see us which was really great. Her friend Emily stopped by for a few and Kristi's brother Jeff came for a while. Tiffany hung back with the Warner Brothers at Karen's house and played with them for most of the day. My parents also helped relieve Karen and Ron so they could run some errands. In the afternoon they brought Hudson to us so Kristi and I could have some bonding time with him. He slept in her arms for a while and everyone left so we could be alone together. Is was really nice to be alone with him. He's only 3 weeks old and we have been apart from him for a third of his life which is really hard for us. Harrison still had a runny nose, so he hung back. He should be better tomorrow so the 4 of us can be together for a few hours. I have a feeling that that is going to be really difficult emotionally. The four of us alone together for the first time a week, the day before Kristi has her surgery.

I left the Hospital at 5:30 to go give Harrison dinner, a bath and put him to sleep. He was really excited to see me and I was equally as excited to see him. He gave me a big hug and a kiss before I lied him down and now he's sleeping like a rock. I am glad that he is so young that he doesn't know what is going on. It would make it all that much harder for us if her knew what could happen on Tuesday.

On a sad note, today was the last day for Kristi's daytime nurse Mae. She was the sweetest nurse Kristi and I had ever met. She was always checking on her, making sure she got what she needed, got her snacks when she was hungry and most importantly made sure that she was able to get into a private room with her sons. They both hugged each other and cried together when she left at the end of her shift. She promised to check on her when she is recovering after her surgery and will make sure that our new nurse is treating her the same way.

Big day tomorrow. Dr. Razook is back for the final question and answer session before her surgery. Pre-Op screenings as well. The wait is almost over.

1 comment: